- Prof. Y. Jaufeerally-Fakim, Dean of the Faculty of Agriculture,
- Prof. H.C.S Rughooputh, Vice-Chancellor of the University of Mauritius,
- Prof. S.Jugessur, Pro-Chancellor of the University of Mauritius,
- Mr. J.Ramkissoon, Director General of the Food and Agricultural Research Council
|The Dean of FOA addressing the audience|
|The Vice-Chancellor addressing the audience|
|The Pro-Chancellor of UoM addressing the audience|
|The Director of FARC addressing the audience|
|The Minister addressing the audience|
There were 25 participants selected for the training on web 2.0 for development and they were from different organizations and fields: Research, Extension, Fisheries, Forestry, private sector, agriculture graduates among others.
The training started with an ice-breaker session whereby the participants had to talk to the person sitting next to him/her for 5 minutes and then introduce that person.
The trainers introduced the democracy wall, which was in the corridor next to the room, whereby the participants had to share their ideas/opinions/thoughts on the training based on the following:
- I learnt
- I discovered
- I suggest
- I felt
- I noticed
|Participants sharing their opinions on the democracy wall|
- Introduction to Web 2.0 for Dev
- Selective access to information using Google as search engine for advanced search
- Alerts and RSS (Google Alerts, Google Reader, iGoogle)
|The trainers in action|
For each session, the trainers explained what the tool is about, what is the objective of using it, how does it function, giving examples and after demonstration, participants had time to practice different exercises.
After each session, participants were provided with meta cards (2 colours) and they had to write on the following and pin it on the wall:
- Do you Think you can make use of Web 2.0 Tools? If so, How? (Yellow Cards)
- What are your concerns (Pink Cards)
|Participants pinning the meta cards after each session|
According to the comments made by the participants, Day 1 was interesting and they discovered many things that would help them in their daily activities!
All Tweets for the launching ceremony and the training can be found with #web2mru
Please find in the Slideshow below the pictures of Day 1: